• Call Us Now: 718-209-6400 6410 Veterans Avenue, Suite 103, Brooklyn, NY 11234

Request Your Consultation

Request Your Consultation


Dyspareunia is pain that happens just before, during, or after sex. It can happen in men and women, but is more common in women. Women can have pain at the vulva, the area around the opening of the vagina. Or the pain can be inside the vagina or in the lower.


There are many possible causes.  In women, common causes include:

  • Childbirth – Sex can be painful for several weeks or months after giving birth.
  • Endometriosis – In this condition, tissue that normally grows inside a woman’s uterus grows outside it. This can cause pain in the belly during sex.
  • Vaginal dryness – This can be caused by:
  • Menopause – This is the time in a woman’s life when she stops having periods. The vagina and tissues around it can get dry and thin at menopause. This can have make sex hurt.
  • Not being aroused or “excited” before sex
  • Conditions that cause long-lasting pain in the vulva, bladder, or pelvis – These can include:
  • A condition called “vulvodynia” – This is pain in the vulva.
  • A condition called “interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome” – This condition causes bladder pain and other symptoms.
  • A condition called “chronic pelvic pain” – This is pain in the area below the belly button that lasts 6 months or longer.
  • An infection in the vagina or bladder
  • Skin problems around the vagina
  • Bad feelings about a partner or relationship – Feeling bad about your partner or about yourself can make sex painful.
  • A painful experience in the past – This could be an experience of sex or a medical exam that hurt. It could even be pain from using a tampon.
  • Birth control pills – Some women who take birth control pills start having pain during sex.


Yes. If sex is painful, see your doctor or nurse. Some people feel embarrassed bringing this up, but this is something your doctor or nurse can help you with.


Your doctor or nurse will decide which tests you should have based on your age, other symptoms, and individual situation. He or she will do an exam and ask you about your symptoms.

Here are some common tests doctors use to find the cause of dyspareunia:

  • Urine tests – These can look for a bladder infection.
  • If you are a woman, tests on a sample of fluid from your vagina – These can look for an infection in the vagina.


Treatments for women include:

  • Antibiotics or antifungal medicines – These can help if the pain is caused by an infection in the vagina or bladder.
  • Creams or gels to keep the vagina moist – These include:
  • Vaginal lubricants, which are used during sex
  • Vaginal moisturizers, which are used several times a week
  • A prescription cream to treat vaginal dryness (usually estrogen) or a skin condition
  • A medicine called ospemifene (brand name: Osphena), which comes in a pill. This is like estrogen, but is not estrogen. It is used only in women who have been through menopause. Some women prefer to use this instead of vaginal estrogen because they prefer not to use a vaginal medicine or find it hard to use a vaginal medicine.
  • Gels or ointments to numb the vagina before and after sex.
  • Physical therapy to loosen the muscles around the vagina.
  • Counseling – This can help if pain is caused by bad feelings about sex, a relationship, or yourself.
  • Surgery – A few women have pain that is caused by a growth inside the body. Doctors might do surgery to take out the growth.